Facebook Twitter YouTube Google Maps
Home » Protected: Members » G – Road Roller

Category G – Road Roller

If you require your Category G licence then you must first pass a test for a vehicle in Category B (Car).  This is so that you can obtain the provisional Category G entitlement.

There are two types of road roller you could drive.  At 17 years old you can drive a road roller which isn’t steam propelled but

  • with metal rollers
  • weighing less than 11.69 tonnes unladen
At 21 years old you can drive other road rollers.  These include road rollers
  • which have pneumatic, resilient or elastic tyres
  • that weigh more than 11.69 tonnes unladen
  • that are steam propelled
Road rollers with resilient tyres are limited to a maximum speed of 20 mph (32 km/h).  Road rollers with metal rollers are limited to 5 mph (approx. 8 km/h).

The current practical test fee is £62 and takes approximately 40 minutes.  This is in addition to any training and/or vehicle hire costs.  The examiner usually travels to you to conduct the test.

The test contains several parts:

  • Eye Sight Test – Read a new style number plate from 20m
  • Safety Checks
  • General Road Driving
  • Turn in the Road, Reverse Around a Corner, Parallel Park – 1 will be selected
  • Emergency Stop
© 2017 - Total Driving (UK) Ltd, TruckEast House, Violet Hill Road, STOWMARKET, IP14 1NN - Reg. No. 08014513